International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2020
#EndPoverty #StopPoverty #IDEP2020
View our online commemoration:
“Acting together to achieve social and environmental justice for all”
People who live in extreme poverty are often the most affected by climate and environmental change. While they are already taking action to resist poverty, today they are also facing the consequences of these new challenges.
However, their efforts and experiences often go unnoticed; their ability to take positive action is ignored and their voice is not heard, especially in international bodies.
On October 17, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, the United Nations ensures that their knowledge, contributions and experience are recognized and celebrated. This year, an online global commemoration will share video messages from people and communities living in poverty and facing the adverse effects of environmental degradation and climate change and mobilized to address them. Their experiences remind us that social injustice and environmental injustice often go hand in hand. Hence, the solutions they call for are also closely linked. Implementing them requires the mobilization of all.
Program of the Online Commemoration
- Video message from the International Committee for October 17
- Video message from the UN Secretary General, Mr. António Guterres.
- Video message from people with experience of poverty in Latin America expressing that the only sustainable justice reconciles social justice and environmental justice.
- Video message from Ambassador de Rivière, Permanent Mission of France to the UN.
- Video message from people with experience of poverty in the Democratic Republic of Congo, facing devastating floods but acting within their community to resist and rebuild together.
- Music “With My Own Two Hands” (Ben Harper), Playing For Change
- Video message from activists with experience of poverty in Belgium, engaged in a participatory process with a Belgian federal agency on the theme of sustainability.
- Video message from Ambassador Tiare, Permanent Mission of Burkina Faso to the UN.
- Video message from Ms. Isabelle Perrin, General Director of ATD Fourth World – call to action.